Churchill TowerAyrshires regular infantry regiment, the Royal Scots Fusiliers, was based at Ayr Barracks in 1873. The site, dating back to 1794, was on the south side of Ayr harbour, bounded by Seabank Road. In 1942, the facility was renamed the Churchill Barracks in honour of the wartime Prime Minister, Winston Churchill. After amalgamation in 1959 with the Highland Light Infantry, the new Royal Highland Fusiliers moved to an Edinburgh base.
The Churchill Barracks were demolished in the early 1960s. (Source: Link )Other redundant buildings were demolished at the same time to promote economic development of the site though this did not happen until the 1990s. Codonas Fun Fair occupied the site every summer in the 1970s and 1980s. The site now houses the Citadel Leisure Centre and several blocks of flats. This impressive block is named Churchill Tower, recording something of the sites history.
© Copyright Mary and Angus Hogg and licensed for reuse
under this Creative Commons Licence.
After his resignation from the government in 1915, Churchill rejoined the British Army, attempting to obtain an appointment as brigade commander, but settling for command of a battalion. After spending some time as a Major with the 2nd Battalion, Grenadier Guards, he was appointed Lieutenant-Colonel, commanding the 6th Battalion, Royal Scots Fusiliers on 1 January 1916.
Churchill (middle) as commander
Royal Scots Fusiliers