Ayrshires regular infantry regiment, the Royal Scots Fusiliers, was based at Ayr Barracks in 1873. In 1942, the facility was renamed the Churchill Barracks in honour of the wartime Prime Minister, Winston Churchill. After amalgamation in 1959 with the Highland Light Infantry, the new Royal Highland Fusiliers moved to an Edinburgh base. The Churchill Barracks were demolished in the early 1960s.(Source: Link )
Other redundant buildings were demolished at the same time to promote economic development of the site though this did not happen until the 1990s. The site now houses the Citadel Leisure Centre and several blocks of flats.
The residence Rowallan Court was named in honour of Thomas Corbett, 2nd baron Rowallan. Thomas Corbett was 18 when the first world war broke out; he secured a
Commission in the Ayrshire Yeomanry and went with them to Gallipoli in October 1915.
In 1939, he raised a new battalion of the Royal Scots Fusiliers whom he accompanied to France as part of the British Expeditionary Force in 1939. Lord Rowallan became Governor of Tasmania on 21 October 1959. He died at Rowallan Castle near Kilmarnock on 30 November 1977.
This photo is licensed for reuse under
the Creative Common license.